Bagabandhu National Stadium is situated in the north of the capital city of Dhaka. The site of Pakistan?s first test match in 1955, it hosted seven matches while the region was under Pakistani rule. The local fans had to wait from 1969 until 1988 until an international match was played here when Bangladesh hosted the third Asian Cup, but after another decade of only domestic competition it once again hosted an international tournament that celebrated 25 years since the end of Pakistani rule.
The stadium is named after the 'father' of the country, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman. It is Bangladesh's major ground and houses the Bangladesh Cricket Board. There were major renovations in the build up to the 1998 Willis International Cup including an electronic scoreboard, media centre and floodlights. The stadium is also used for football (soccer), and with a purpose-built cricket stadium being built on the outskirts of the city, it was taken out of commission as a cricket venue at the end of the 2004-05 season and handed over to the national football team.