Eden Gardens situated in Kolkata is the oldest cricket ground in India and is also considered one of the finest in the world. The present Eden Gardens Cricket Club came in existence some time in the year 1864. It has been called the Lord's of Asia.
The first ever first-class match to be played here was in 1917-18, while the first Test match was against Douglas Jardine's MCC in January 1934. Since then the ground has hosted 30 Test matches — the maximum at any venue in India. In February 1987, the stadium hosted its first One day international match — against Pakistan. In all 16 ODI matches have been held here.
As a part of modernisation of the stadium during the 1987 World Cup, where the final match was held, covered stands were built all around, with a modern Club House and pavilion. The Club House now houses the offices of the Cricket Association of Bengal. In November 1993, a five-nation tournament was played in India to celebrate the CAB Diamond Jubilee, where day-night one-day international matches were played at this ground, thanks to the installation of four gigantic floodlights.
This stadium, the largest in the world, has a maximum capacity exceeding 100,000, rivalled only by the MCG.