Lord's Cricket Ground is a cricket ground in St John's Wood in London. It is owned by Marylebone Cricket Club and is the home of Middlesex County Cricket Club, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) and the International Cricket Council (ICC). Lord's is often referred to as the Home of Cricket. The ground was started by Thomas Lord in 1814.
Lord's contains the MCC Museum where the famous Ashes are on display. Lord's hosts Test matches, one day internationals and Middlesex home matches and for the first ever time a Twenty 20 Cup match between Middlesex and Sussex in July 2004.
Much of the ground was rebuilt in the late 20th century. In 1987 the new Mound Stand, designed by Sir Michael Hopkins, was opened. The Grand Stand (by Nicholas Grimshaw) and the Media Centre (by Future Systems) followed in 1998-9. In 2002-3 the entire outfield was relaid and a much-improved drainage system installed. There is also redevelopment continuing on the historic pavilion, particularly the famous Long Room, where every player comes through before entering the field of play.
The Lord's Taverners, a charitable group comprising cricketers and cricket-lovers take their name from Lord's, and the fact that the Tavern Stand is built on the site of a former tavern.
St. John's Wood tube station is nearby.