In 1810, Governor Macquarie built a park adjacent to the city named Hyde Park. This park included a racecourse, exercise ground and cricket ground, the now SCG. The majestic Members' Pavilion and Ladies stand were built in the late 1800's and still overlook the field today. As the years passed, the Brewongle, Churchill, O'Reilly, Noble and Doug Walters Stands were all added. Despite these additions, the field still gives the feel of a homely, happy ground.
The 'New Years' Test Match is held there annually on the 2nd of January, attracting great crowds as people flock to see the best of the World in action.