Johannesburg: South African Test cricketer Daryll Cullinan says he is "disappointed and a little angry" at his exclusion from the South African squad that will play in the International Cricket Council (ICC) mini-World Cup in Kenya from October 3. Cullinan was speaking to the national Afrikaans Sunday paper 'Rapport' about his exclusion, which was viewed here as the biggest surprise when selectors announced the 14-member team here on Friday. "I can't clearly understand what the selectors are planning.
Earlier this year I did not want to play one-day cricket, but then they convinced me to do it. Now I want to, but they don't select me," Cullinan said, adding that he would fight to regain his place on the team. "I would really like the selectors to explain better to me why I am not playing now. I understand that they want to build a team for the 2003 World Cup (which will take place in South Africa), but I can't understand other older players are still in the team." Cullinan said the selectors had told him that he had been left out because the South African team had batted too slowly at number 3 and 4 during their recent tour of Sri Lanka, Singapore and Australia. "I don't know about that, because Jacques Kallis and I, who batted at number three and four, have among the best averages in the team," he said. Kallis had been included in the team for Kenya. Reacting to Cullinan's concerns.
The United Cricket Board of South Africa (UCBSA) said that it had no further comment to make, since Rushdi Magiet, the national cricket selection committee convener, had made the decisions on team selections quite clear at Friday's media conference. UCBSA spokesman Bronwyn Wilkinson said, however, that Magiet had in fact referred to the poor performance by numbers four and five, not to numbers three and four as claimed by Cullinan. Ten Test-playing nations and Kenya are taking part in the tournament, which ends on October 15. India Abroad News Service