Johannesburg: South African cricketer Daryll Cullinan has said that he is "surprised" about his inclusion in the South African squad to play against New Zealand, who arrive here on Tuesday for six One-day Internationals and three Tests. "I really don't know any longer where I stand," Cullinan told the Afrikaans weekly 'Rapport', adding that he would like to go and talk to the selectors about his position. "I had accepted that the selectors would never choose me again for One-day matches after I was left out of the Kenya tour. I then began preparing myself for Test cricket, but now I'll have to interrupt this," Cullinan said.
Earlier this year, Cullinan had indicated that he wanted to retire from international One-day cricket, but the United Cricket Board of South Africa forced him to stay on contractually. While announcing the team to play against New Zealand in Potchefstroom on Friday, national cricket team selector Graeme Pollock said Cullinan's omission from the team for the Kenyan tour had "left a vacuum". The inclusion of Cullinan is seen as part of an attempt by the selectors to make up for South Africa's humiliating 95-run defeat by India in the ICC (International Cricket Council) Knock Out tournament semi-final in Nairobi. India Abroad News Service