हिन्दीಕನ್ನಡമലയാളംதமிழ்తెలుగు

Grim Prabhakar avoids media

Published: Friday, November 10, 2000, 23:53 [IST]
 
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Chennai: Former skipper Mohammed Azharuddin did not present himself before the Board of Control for Cricket in India's (BCCI) Inquiry Commissioner R Madhavan, a former joint director of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI). Mr Madhavan and Delhi-based advocate, however, examined former all-rounder Manoj Prabhakar for nearly five hours.BCCI set up their one-man Inquiry Commission after the CBI report made public recently by Union Sports Minister Sukhdev Singh Dhindsa alleged that five Indian cricketers, former physio Dr Ali Irani and nine foreign cricketers were involved in the match-fixing scandal."There is no information about Azharuddin," Mr Madhavan said at a crowded press conference. He said that Azhar would be given a couple of opportunities failing which he would report the matter to the BCCI.Besides Prabhakar and Azharuddin, three other former cricketers - Ajay Sharma, Ajay Jadeja and Nayan Mongia - along with former PhysioAli Irani were issued summons by Mr Madhavan. While Ajay Sharma would be examined at Delhi on November 14 after he expressed his inability to present himself before the Commissioner citing health reasons, Jadeja, Mongia and Ali Irani would be examined here on Sunday. Prabhakar was his usual flamboyant self before his examination. However, when he emerged out of the nearly five-hour long examination sporting a "grim face", he was mobbed by the media, but the security personnel waded their way to guide him out of the hotel.Prabhakar, however, refused to talk to the large posse of electronic and print media. He only said, "I will come back," got into the waiting car and left. Stating that he would submit his report to the BCCI before the General Body Meeting on November 29, Mr Madhavan said his report would be specific and would weigh the pros and cons of the contexts of the CBI report.He also asserted that he was not averse to examining those players exonerated by the CBI, in the event of any reference being made during the course of the examination."It will be pre-mature at this stage for me to say whether A B C or D was guilty. I will study the CBI report and the basis of evidence in its totality and examine other players before submitting my report," the former CBI joint director said."We have recorded about 80 per cent of his statements. The remaining 20 per cent would be recorded in a couple of hours. Manoj left with a comfortable feeling," he said about Prabhakar's examination. Mr Madhavan, who had examined Kishore Rungta regarding guarantee money for matches, said he had examined him since he was the treasurer of the BCCI. He had also questioned the groundsman of the Ferozshah Kotla ground in Delhi, he added.He said Dr A C Muthiah would also be "examined" as he is the president of the BCCI. "I have informed Dr Muthiah for having a talk to get his observations on the CBI report." Asked if his report could be challenged in a court, Mr Madhavan said "I will objectively analyse the CBI report and put my views in the report to the BCCI. If there is logic and reasoning in my report it would be accepted and it was not important who submits the report."On what would be the reaction if he exonerates those players found guilty by the CBI, Mr Madhavan, it was up to the BCCI to decide. On the involvement of foreign players, Mr Madhavan said, They (foreign players) were not bound by the BCCI. It was up to the foreign bodies to take a decision. "If they required any assistance, it would be given by me and the BCCI," he added. UNI

Extras:
Prabhakar's wife's beauty clinic stoned
War is on to cleanse game: Prabhakar

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Write Comments

Video Gallery

  • Virat Kohli Scores 75 Off 51 Inspite Of Palm Injury, Stitches Needed

    Watch Photo

    Virat Kohli Scores 75 Off 51 Inspite Of Palm Injury, Stitches Needed

  • Virat Kohli Becomes Highest Scorer In Single IPL Season, Breaks Chris Gayle Record

    Watch Photo

    Virat Kohli Becomes Highest Scorer In Single IPL Season, Breaks Chris Gayle Record

  • Rahul Dravid, Mahela Jayawardene Appointed To ICC Cricket Committee

    Watch Photo

    Rahul Dravid, Mahela Jayawardene Appointed To ICC Cricket Committee

  • Azharuddin Reveals Why He Raised His Collar While Playing

    Watch Photo

    Azharuddin Reveals Why He Raised His Collar While Playing

  • Mitchell Johnson Hits Glenn Maxwell After Being Dropped From KXIP

    Watch Photo

    Mitchell Johnson Hits Glenn Maxwell After Being Dropped From KXIP

  • Chris Gayle Struggling In IPL, Is It The End For Universal Boss

    Watch Photo

    Chris Gayle Struggling In IPL, Is It The End For Universal Boss