New Delhi: Setting at rest all speculation, the government has said that there is no move to take over the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) in the wake of the match-fixing scandal plaguing the game.Minister of state for Youth Affairs and Sports Ponnu Radhakrishnan had said earlier this week that the government had asked the BCCI to offer its comments on various aspects of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) match-fixing report including the observations made by the agency on the Board's functioning. The premier investigating agency, in its 162-page report submitted to the government on October 30, had pointed out irregularities in the functioning of the BCCI and suggested a re-look into its functioning. Making hard-hitting remarks against the Board, the agency questioned the failure of BCCI officials to probe the match-fixing scandal on their own. Even though the BCCI was aware of the possible misdeeds, it made no effort to prevent the 'dirty trade' from flourishing, it said.When asked about the proposal to take over the Board in view of alleged irregularities, the minister categorically said, ''there is no such move''. Mr Radhakrishnan said the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) had found fixed deposits amounting to Rs 1,048,274,774, term deposits worth $ 15,75,000 and 1,23,000 pounds during the course of raids in the office of BCCI treasurer Kishore Rungta at Jaipur. The Board, the minister said, had regularly been filing returns of income. The Income Tax department, had on July 20 and 21, raided the residences and offices of Mr Rungta and cricketers all over the country in its efforts to probe any possible financial irregularities by cricketers and BCCI officials.The minister said the government was studying the CBI report and consulting the concerned ministries like those of Home, Personnel, Finance, Law and External Affairs. So far, only the Law ministry has sent its response to the CBI report. The Law Ministry has said that a case was made out under the Prevention of Corruption Act (PCA) against former captain Mohammad Azharuddin and ex-player Ajay Sharma as they were public servants. But no case was made out against the other three tainted cricketers and former physiotherapist Ali Irani.Besides Azhar, Ajay Sharma and Ali Irani, the CBI had found Ajay Jadeja, Nayan Mongia and Manoj Prabhakar to be involved in the match-fixing and betting racket. Azhar is working as Senior Public Relations Manager at a Hyderabad-branch of the State Bank of India, while Ajay Sharma was an employee of the Central Warehousing Corporation. The government said the South African authorities have been kept informed about the findings of the agency in which a few of their cricketers also find a mention. The South African government has reaffirmed its decision to abide by the results of the various court cases in India.UNI
Ministry plans law to curb 'fixing'