Surrey to take racist attack seriously

Published: Wednesday, January 10, 2001, 23:53 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

London: English county champions Surrey are investigating an alleged racist attack on a young black all-rounder in Australia on Christmas Eve. A Surrey spokesman said on Tuesday that the 20-year-old all-rounder, who is on the club's staff, had rung in distress last month to say he had been attacked by an umpire in a local bar. "The club is taking the attack on Michael Carberry in Australia extremely seriously," the club said in a statement. "We are investigating the precise details of what happened." Carberry, 20, told the 'Daily Mail' the incident had started with an lbw decision during a game in Victoria. "The captain wrote a match report stating the umpiring was pretty good apart from one decision," he said. "Then I was in the local Iron Bar pub having a few drinks and the umpire came in and he was in my face and asking if I had a problem with his umpiring. "That was when he grabbed me, broke the neck chain and started racially abusing me." The spokesman said Carberry had now moved to Perth to join the Surrey Cricket Academy there. "He is looking forward to intense winter training and to putting this unfortunate incident behind him," he said. (c) Reuters Limited. Click here for RestrictionsExtras:
'Racist' scar forces colt to quit club

Write Comments