New Delhi: India's cricket board on Tuesday said the national team would not participate in major International tournaments until the government comes out with clear policy guidelines on playing against Pakistan. "We have asked the government for clarification on the matter and will not participate in events other than bilateral or tri-nation series, till then," the president of the Board of Control for Cricket in India, A.C. Muthaiah, told reporters. The decision will affect India's participation in tournaments such as the World Cup, the International Cricket Council (ICC) knock-out tournament and the Asia Cup, he added. Muthaiah said India would play only against individual "Test-playing nations" or three-nation tournaments until it was clearly defined what "off-shore venues" they would be allowed to play. Earlier this month, the government directed India's cricket board not to send the Indian cricket team to play in tournaments in Sharjah, Singapore and Toronto. "India will also not be organising the ICC knock-out tournament which was offered to it and the Board has written to the government asking for permission to play Pakistan in bilateral series in the future," the Board president said. On the issue of sponsorship of India's cricket team, Muthaiah said four main bidders were in the fray following the withdrawal of India Tobacco Company (ITC) in February. "Hero Honda, Sporting Frontier, 21st Century and Gayatri Arts are the bidders," Muthaiah said.
Topics: icc, pakistan, cricket, bcci, world cup, sharjah, cricketer, asia cup, president, indian cricket team, government, national team, indias cricket board, major international tournaments, trination series, ac muthaiah, threenation tournaments, singapore and toronto, board of control for cricket in india, international cricket council international cricket council