SA officials accused of hiding facts
Published: Thursday, May 17, 2001, 23:53 [IST]
This was more than a month after it happened. The 'Business Day' said Sonn, who was in Antigua at the time that the offences occurred, reacted "angrily" to questions about his knowledge of the incident, and called the questions that the newspaper posed to him a "cross-examination." 2003 World Cup director and former UCBSA managing director Ali Bacher, vice-president Richard Harrison, selection panel convener Rushdi Magiet and treasurer John Blair were also in Antigua at the time. Blair, Bacher and Harrison denied any knowledge of the incident until it was made public last week. Sonn and Majola were allegedly told about the incident a day or two after team manager Goolam Rajah discovered it and secured admission from the offenders. Majola confirmed that Rajah had told him about it the night after it happened. But other senior UCBSA officials said they only learnt about it last Friday, when it was big news in South African media. Meanwhile, the head of the UCBSA medical committee, Tim Noakes, is seeking approval for controlled, regular testing for drugs on players contracted to the UCBSA every three months. He said that the executive committee of the UCBSA would be discussing a proposal from his committee in this regard when it meets this weekend to discuss the dope incident in the West Indies. This suggestion would replace the current system, in which random testing takes place. Noakes said a booklet has been prepared listing the drugs that cricketers may use, rather than those that they may not, to make it easier for them. Every contracted player would carry such a booklet with him.