Probe report links game to murder, kidnapping

Published: Tuesday, May 22, 2001, 20:32 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

 London: The wide-ranging inquiry into cricket corruption has uncovered details of murder and kidnapping related to match-fixing, it was reported on Tuesday. 'The Daily Telegraph' said the investigation by the International Cricket Council's anti-graft Tsar Paul Condon would report on Wednesday players had been threatened and match-fixing was still a problem. "I have spoken to people who have been threatened and others who have alleged a murder and a kidnapping linked to cricket corruption," Condon was quoted by the 'Telegraph' as saying in the report. Condon will also accuse senior figures within cricket of withholding information during his inquiry and note that match-fixing is more widespread than previously thought, stating "allegations in the public domain were only the tip of the iceberg". Condon was saddled with the task of attempting to determine the extent of graft in cricket following the explosion of the "Cronje-gate" match-rigging scandal last year. World cricket was rocked after New Delhi police accidentally intercepted a mobile phone call where South African captain Hansie Cronje discussed taking bribes to throw a game. Cronje, Pakistan ace Salim Malik and Indian Test legend Mohammed Azharuddin were subsequently banned for life over the scandal. However the ICC report notes that despite the scandal and the life bans, there was evidence some cricketers remained on the bookmakers' pay-roll. "There are indications that some players and others are still acting dishonestly and to the order of bookies," Condon says in his 80-page report, due to be published on the Internet on Wednesday. Extras:
Focus: match-fixing
Scope of ICC probe is wide, says Condon AFP

Write Comments