Pakistan to probe defeat in 1999 WC

Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2001, 3:47 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Karachi: The Pakistan government will shortly nominate a judge to probe into allegations that Pakistan's matches against India and Bangladesh in the 1999 World Cup were fixed, officials said on Tuesday. "The government will nominate a judge to probe two World Cup matches in the next few days," Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Lieutenant General Tauqir Zia told AFP. The judge would investigate allegations that the matches against India and cricket minnows Bangladesh, which Pakistan lost, were fixed, he said. "We have suggested the name of Justice Malik Mohammad Qayyum for the probe but the government could nominate someone else also," he said. Qayyum conducted a judicial inquiry into match fixing in Pakistan cricket and banned former skipper Salim Malik and pacer Ataur Rehman for life in May last year. The Qayyum commission fined Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis, Saeed Anwar, Inzamam Haq, Mushtaq Ahmed and Akram Raza. Zia said he would meet Paul Condon, chief of the International Cricket Council's (ICC) anti-graft committee, who is due here later this week. "I think he would discuss matters relating to match-fixing," he said. PCB has received Condon's report, which is due to be published on Wednesday. Zia did not comment on the report saying he had not yet seen it. During its stay in Pakistan, the ICC anti-corruption team would also meet Qayyum, he added.

Write Comments