Thatscricket - News - Tri-series to continue despite airport attack
Published: Tuesday, July 24, 2001, 3:35 [IST]
|Will LTTE's attack affect the cricket series? |
Post your views
He added that a decision had been taken that all seven further matches in the tournament would continue to be played as scheduled. Three games have so far been played in the tournament, with Sri Lanka winning two and New Zealand one. The hosts will take on New Zealand in a day match on Wednesday.New Zealand manager Jeff Crowe said his team was satisfied with the security arrangements. "They have assured us that there would no problem," he said.Indian team manager Anant Mate said, "We are in touch with the cricket Board and Indian High Commission here. The Board has left it to us to decide the course of action and the Indian High Commission has offered additional security if the team so desires."Sri Lankan captain Sanath Jayasuriya said there was no panic in his team and added that they hoped to win their third consecutive match. "There are no security concerns and I hope everything will settle down quickly," he said.The cricket Board had already had to reassure the visiting teams last week after police violently crushed a pro-democracy rally here, killing two people and wounding more than 80 others.
Copyright AFP 2001
India in Sri Lanka
Colombo: An emergency meeting called on Tuesday to discuss security at the tri-nation cricket tournament in Sri Lanka after an attack on Colombo airport which left 18 people dead decided that the matches would continue, cricket officials said.The meeting was convened to allow the Board of Control for Cricket in Sri Lanka (BCCSL) to discuss the situation with officials in charge of security, match referee Cammie Smith of the West Indies, as well as the managers of the New Zealand, Indian and Sri Lankan teams.Early on Tuesday morning Tamil rebel suicide bombers attacked the Bandaranaike International Airport and an adjoining military Air Base destroying 13 aircraft.But Vijay Malasekara, chairman of the BCCSL, assured the participating teams that adequate security measures were in place for the tournament. In a statement, Malasekara said, "Officials in charge of security have given assurance that adequate precautions are being taken to ensure safety of players and officials, which is the highest priority."