Online cricket News | Current Events | India News | Current Affairs

Published: Wednesday, July 25, 2001, 23:53 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Colombo: The International Cricket Council (ICC) ban on players using mobile phones is being "strictly" enforced during the ongoing One-day tri-series involving India, New Zealand and Sri Lanka, sources say.[an error occurred while processing this directive]Sri Lanka's cricket Board sources revealed they were also keeping a log of calls made and received by the players through the switchboard of the hotel where the three teams are staying.The measures were taken as part of attempts to prevent bookmakers from contacting players following the match-fixing scandal, which rocked the game recently.Earlier this year, former South African captain Hansie Cronje was found to have links with an Indian bookmaker when New Delhi police tapped his mobile phone conversations.Cronje was later banned for life, as were two other former Test captains, Mohammad Azharuddin of India and Salim Malik of Pakistan."What we are implementing is an ICC recommended ban," Sri Lanka's team manager Ajith Jayasekara said. "We are enforcing it very strictly." From the time the teams leave for the match venues and during play as well as at practice, the players were not allowed to use mobile phones, Jayasekara said.A cricket website reported there was "speculation" that six Indian bookmakers had checked into the team hotel a day before the Indian team arrived on Monday.However, None of the three teams is accompanied by a security officer as recommended by the ICC's anti-corruption unit (ACU). But the players remain heavily guarded.The Taj Samudra hotel floors occupied by the players are guarded by armed members of the elite Ministerial Security Division and only authorised personnel are allowed access.

Copyright AFP 2001


Write Comments