London: England cricket chief Lord McLaurin has promised that no risks would be taken over player safety for England's upcoming tour of India.
| McLaurin told Radio Four, "Our players will not be risked. You can be very sure that our players' safety is absolutely paramount." The chairman of the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB), stressed that the situation was being monitored on a day-to-day basis and the views of the players would be taken into account. He confirmed that England captain Nasser Hussain would meet ECB officials later on Monday, upon his return from Zimbabwe, to discuss next month's trip to India. The advice of both the government and the British Embassies in India was being sought after the Foreign Office last week advised Europeans to keep a low profile when visiting India following the bombing raids on Afghanistan in the wake of the terrorist attacks on America. "If there is any chance they (the England players) can come into any harm, the tour won't go on," added McLaurin. "Nasser's view about it and my view about it are the same - he does not want to go to India if there is any threat to the players. "Our players are our prime asset and we will look after them to the very best of our ability. They will talk to us, we have a very good association with them." McLaurin was confident the views of the ECB and the players would not differ and there would be no chance of the players being told to tour India and then pulling out. |