London: England and Wales cricket board (ECB) chairman Lord MacLaurin said on Monday that England's tour of India late next month was still on, but a final decision would not be made for two weeks.
| Speaking at the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst, where England's Academy players are undergoing a week's training, MacLauren said, "We are monitoring the situation on a day-to-day basis, one thing we will not do is put players' safety at risk." MacLauren is due to fly to Kuala Lumper for a meeting of the International Cricket Council (ICC) executive committee later this week. The first two Tests of the tour are set to take place at grounds close to the Pakistan border with India. In the light of the recent terror attacks in the United States and the subsequent military reprisals on Afghanistan, numerous world sporting bodies have become very nervous about the prospect of organising tours especially in countries close to Afghanistan. MacLauren, commenting on possible venue changes, said, "I'm sure that will be part of the conversation I will have with my Indian counterpart on Thursday and Friday. "If the situation is as it is right now then we would not tour," MacLauren explained. "But can anyone here tell me what the world political situation will be like in two weeks time." Earlier, England captain Nasser Hussain had a meeting with ECB cricket operations manager John Carr. "I'm sure Nasser made his feelings very clear," said MacLauren. "I understand that he wants an early decision but we have other responsibilities as well." The ECB had received advice from the British government Foreign Office last week that Europeans in India should maintain a low profile. Former Australian wicket keeper Rodney Marsh, now England's Academy director, said, "I don't believe that you can worry about things like this." Explaining that he was speaking in a personal capacity, Marsh added: "Life goes on. If your number is up it's up." |