हिन्दीಕನ್ನಡമലയാളംதமிழ்తెలుగు

Let govts decide on tour, insists Kapil

Published: Friday, October 19, 2001, 15:16 [IST]
 
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

St Andrews (Scotland): Indian cricket legend Kapil Dev insisted on Thursday that the future of the forthcoming England tour of India should be decided by the respective governments.
 "We have a war going on," Dev said. "It is too important for the players to decide. It is up to the governments to make the decision." Dev added that the players should remain silent on the debate. Earlier on Thursday, England batsman Graham Thorpe said he and his teammates were facing a tough decision on whether or not to go ahead with the tour. But next month's tour to India was still on as far as the International Cricket Council (ICC) was concerned, said a spokesman on Wednesday ahead of an Executive Board meeting in Kuala Lumpur. "I have heard numerous rumours from so-called informed sources which claim that England will not be travelling to India later this year," ICC communications manager Mark Harrison said. "But as far as the ICC is concerned, this is entirely misleading. I can assure you that the ICC will not put any player at risk and therefore we are monitoring the situation in Afghanistan closely." A decision by the ICC is expected on Friday.

Extras:
BCCI, ECB keen on proceeding with tour
We're worried about safety in India: Thorpe
Post your views

Write Comments