England tour of India - News - Cricket: Vaughan ready for India if tour gets go ahead

Published: Sunday, October 21, 2001, 2:01 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

London: England batsman Michael Vaughan lent his support to the tour of India on Sunday, saying he was raring to go if the team's safety could be assured.England is due to fly to India in just over three weeks for a three-Test series before Christmas. Several senior players, notably Vaughan's Yorkshire colleague Craig White, have questioned whether the tour should go ahead with US-led military action taking place in Afghanistan.But Vaughan insisted he would be happy to go if a team meeting with the New Delhi High commissioner in London on Tuesday clarified the situation in India."If the Foreign Office say it's safe to go, I would go," Vaughan told BBC Radio Five Live. "I have been to India a couple of times. It's a great place to tour and I know people were looking forward to going."I'm very keen to get out there and play some cricket but we will have to see what advice we are given. I saw Craig White was voicing his concerns about travelling there and I am obviously a bit concerned about going."But I cannot really say anything until I have heard from someone that lives there and knows what it's like. The meeting on Tuesday will be vital to prove it's safe to go."Vaughan added that the players would get together with captain Nasser Hussain before the meeting to air their views. On Saturday Hussain and senior batsman Graham Thorpe suggested that the decision on whether to go would ultimately be left up to each individual.The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has already sought assurances from its Indian counterparts and Foreign Office officials and will attempt to use Tuesday's meeting to convince the players that it will be safe.But if the Board eventually decides to cancel the tour, India has vowed to pull out of next summer's tour to England, leaving the ECB with potentially ruinous financial losses, possibly of up to 10 million pounds ($ 14 million).And according to The Sunday Telegraph newspaper, the decision to boycott India could leave the ECB facing bankruptcy.

Copyright AFP 2001

'India tour pull out could bankrupt ECB'
ECB hopes to convince stars India tour safety

Write Comments