England tour of India - News - England players given Friday as deadline for India tour

Published: Thursday, October 11, 2001, 4:07 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

London: England cricketers were given a Friday deadline to make themselves available for November's tour of India after a decision was taken on Tuesday to go ahead with it at a Lord's press conference, the chairman of the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) Lord MacLaurin said the tour was going ahead but that players will be allowed to choose for themselves whether or not to take part.Players will make their availability known to England representative and Professional Cricketers' Association (PCA) managing director Richard Bevan by noon local time (11:00 GMT) on Friday.MacLaurin, recently returned from an International Cricket Council (ICC) executive meeting in Kuala Lumpur, insisted on Tuesday the tour was still on. "I am pleased to confirm once again that as things stand at the moment there is no reason why the England tour of India should not go ahead as planned," he said"We started off by saying at the start of the meeting that there had been a lot of speculation in the media about the tour to India and whether it is a safe country to be touring," Lamb added."We felt that it was essential that if anyone selected for the tour had a problem with it in any way that should be on the table on Tuesday morning. It was hoped that we would be able to allay any anxieties they may have and give them the reassurances they were looking for."The tour party is due to arrive in India on November 14 and play three Tests by December 23. There then follows six One-day matches until February 4.

Copyright AFP 2001

England squad free to choose on India tour
Englands India tour will go ahead: MacLaurin

Write Comments