हिन्दीಕನ್ನಡമലയാളംதமிழ்తెలుగు

Thatscricket - News - Cricket: Windies great Holding to work on Akhtar's action

Published: Thursday, November 8, 2001, 23:53 [IST]
 
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

New Delhi: West Indian fast bowling great Michael Holding will assist Pakistan's Shoaib Akhtar in rectifying his controversial bowling action, the International Cricket Council (ICC) said on Thursday.[an error occurred while processing this directive]Holding, nicknamed the "Rolls Royce of fast bowlers" for his classic run-up and action, will hold sessions with Akhtar in the next few weeks to sort out the Pakistani's bowling problems.Akhtar was last week reported for the second time in eight months after playing in the Champions Trophy in Sharjah. ICC tournament referee Denis Lindsay of South Africa and umpires Rudi Koertzen and George Sharp filed the report."I am delighted that Michael has agreed to work with the ICC and Shoaib Akhtar in this important area," ICC chief executive Malcolm Speed said in a media release from the game's governing body."His outstanding record as a player and the excellent communications skills he brings to his work in the media make him perfectly suited to the role." Holding claimed 249 wickets from 60 Test matches during his 11-year career for the West Indies in the 1970s and 1980s.The 26-year-old Akhtar was first reported for a suspect action in 1999 by Australian umpires, but was cleared and reinstated in the Pakistani team by the then ICC president, Jagmohan Dalmiya of India.New Zealand umpires Doug Cowie and Steve Dunne also reported him after a One-day series in March 2000. Working with Holding is part of stage two of the ICC process for dealing with bowlers with suspect actions.A detailed assessment of Akhtar's action and any remedial work undertaken will be submitted to the ICC and the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) within three months, the ICC said, adding the report will be made public.Akhtar will, however, be allowed to play international cricket during this period. But a third reporting in 12 months would draw in the ICC's Bowling Review Group. This group will meet with the bowler and discuss the previous two assessment reports, video footage and any further evidence supplied by the player or his Board.If a majority of the Group decides the bowler has a consistently illegal action he will be banned from playing international cricket for 12 months from the date of the hearing.

AFP
Copyright AFP 2001

Extras:
Akhtar reported again for suspect action
Post your views

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Write Comments

Video Gallery

  • Virat Kohli Scores 75 Off 51 Inspite Of Palm Injury, Stitches Needed

    Watch Photo

    Virat Kohli Scores 75 Off 51 Inspite Of Palm Injury, Stitches Needed

  • Virat Kohli Becomes Highest Scorer In Single IPL Season, Breaks Chris Gayle Record

    Watch Photo

    Virat Kohli Becomes Highest Scorer In Single IPL Season, Breaks Chris Gayle Record

  • Rahul Dravid, Mahela Jayawardene Appointed To ICC Cricket Committee

    Watch Photo

    Rahul Dravid, Mahela Jayawardene Appointed To ICC Cricket Committee

  • Azharuddin Reveals Why He Raised His Collar While Playing

    Watch Photo

    Azharuddin Reveals Why He Raised His Collar While Playing

  • Mitchell Johnson Hits Glenn Maxwell After Being Dropped From KXIP

    Watch Photo

    Mitchell Johnson Hits Glenn Maxwell After Being Dropped From KXIP

  • Chris Gayle Struggling In IPL, Is It The End For Universal Boss

    Watch Photo

    Chris Gayle Struggling In IPL, Is It The End For Universal Boss