Port Elizabeth: India's cricket tour of South Africa was in turmoil on Tuesday following the sanctions taken against six Indian players for irregularities during the second Test in Port Elizabeth.The fines and suspensions were announced by Gerald Majola, chief executive of the United Cricket Board of South Africa (UCBSA), at a press conference at St George's Park, where the Test entered its fifth day. Former Indian Test player Ravi Shastri, now a television commentator, asked, "If Mike Denness cannot answer questions, why is he here? We know what he looks like." Majola said Denness, a former England captain, was not allowed to answer questions in terms of an International Cricket Council (ICC) regulations. Former South African Test bowler Pat Symcox said at the press conference there were rumours that the Indian Board was threatening to pull the Indian team out of the third Test but Majola said there had been no communication between the two Boards. Television pictures on Sunday showed Tendulkar running his thumb down the seam of the ball while he was bowling. The Johannesburg daily 'Business Day' reported that local television production company, Trademark Television was accused by the Indian media of alerting Denness to Tendulkar's transgressions before he saw the pictures himself. However, the company's co-director Mike Domaine denied this, saying the Indian media was trying to "make mischief." "We are not here to do the match referee's job and to accuse us of... alerting him to the pictures is just ridiculous," he told the paper.
| Copyright AFP 2001 |