Port Elizabeth: Match referee Mike Denness revealed further details on Tuesday of his controversial decision to give Indian cricket icon Sachin Tendulkar a fine and a suspended ban for interfering with the match ball during the second Test against South Africa at St Georges Park.In a statement issued on behalf of Denness, United Cricket Board of South Africa (USBCA) chief executive Gerald Majola said the decision to ask for video footage of Tendulkar and then to call a hearing had been made by Denness himself. "There was no report submitted by the on-field umpires or anyone else to the match referee," the statement said. The statement said that at the hearing Denness had watched the video in the company of Tendulkar and members of the Indian team management. He "deliberated long and hard" before reaching a decision. "In making a decision, the match referee took into account everything that Mr Tendulkar had said during the hearing. Nevertheless as a player and highly respected player, Mr Tendulkar had breached the code of conduct and by his actions has brought the game into disrepute," the statement continued. The statement gave no further details of disciplinary action taken against five other players.
| Copyright AFP 2001 |