हिन्दीಕನ್ನಡമലയാളംதமிழ்తెలుగు

India will not play under Denness: Dalmiya

Published: Tuesday, November 27, 2001, 2:21 [IST]
 
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

New Delhi: The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) on Monday decided to permanently boycott the controversial match referee Mike Denness but gave clear indications that it favoured an amicable settlement with the International Cricket Council, while asserting that Virender Sehwag was eligible to play against England next week despite the ICC having ruled against that.

An emergency meeting of the BCCI here discussed the intense controversy surrounding the punishments handed down to six Indian players by Denness, which the cricket Boards of India and South Africa had responded by removing him as the match referee. While deciding that the Indian team would not participate in any international match with Denness as the ICC referee, the Board left the door open for a settlement with ICC by stating that "being part of the same cricket family" BCCI would continue its discussion with ICC so that the "matters could be amicably sorted out and the situation is not allowed to worsen further". The Working Committee meeting comes in the backdrop of reports that India may be suspended from ICC but the ICC chairman Malcolm Gray said earlier in the day that such a step was not contemplated. Having ruled the third match of the three-Test series between India and South Africa as 'unofficial', ICC said the one-match ban imposed on Sehwag by Denness would be applicable to the India's first Test against England in Mohali but BCCI on Monday stuck to its stand that Sehwag had already served the ban by missing the ongoing match in South Africa.
Extras:
'ICC not to confront India on Sehwag'
'Sehwag eligible for Mohali Test'

Write Comments