~~Sehwag controversy serious than match-fixing~~

Published: Thursday, November 29, 2001, 4:06 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Mumbai: Former BCCI chief Raj Singh Dungarpur on Wednesday said the inclusion of Virender Sehwag for Mohali Test against England next week despite a one-match ban by International Cricket Council (ICC), could be disastrous for India. "Sehwag's controversy could be far more serious than the match-fixing scandal which rocked the country last year," Dungarpur said. "However, I have a gut feeling that the BCCI will toe the ICC line before the Friday deadline by not playing Sehwag in the final eleven and if it does play him at Mohali then the issue will snowball into a confrontation which would turn into a catastrophe very hard for the Indian Board to withstand," he said. "I think it would be sheer waste if England decide to withdraw from the three-match Test series starting next week. India will end up big losers as they will not only be deprived of playing six Test matches (three at home and three away) and ten One- dayers but may be isolated from international scene for a long time," Dungarpur said. "Though Mr Jagmohan Dalmiya is a fine administrator, he should be very careful in dealing with the present scenario and put his personal differences aside with ICC and work for the betterment of the game," he added. "Being a former selection committee chairman, I know that the selectors have picked Sehwag after consultation with Mr Dalmiya and according to cricketing merits," Dungarpur said.

Write Comments