हिन्दीಕನ್ನಡമലയാളംதமிழ்తెలుగు

Govt has ~~hands off~~ approach in BCCI-ICC row

Published: Thursday, November 29, 2001, 4:19 [IST]
 
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

New Delhi: The government on Wednesday said that it has adopted a 'hands off' approach in the ongoing imbroglio between Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and International Cricket Council (ICC) over the controversial decision of match referee punishing six Indian cricketers."This is something for the BCCI to sort out with the international body. The government feels it has absolutely no role to play at the present juncture," a top Sports Ministry official said. Asked did BCCI president Jagmohan Dalmiya consult the government before taking a strong stand that the match referee should be sacked, the official refused to comment. "We have adopted a wait and watch policy. So far we have not intervened at all in the ongoing controversy," he said. When his attention was drawn to the active role played by the South African government in saving the third match between India and South Africa despite the same being declared unofficial by the ICC, the official said whether or not South African government intervened was a matter best left and not commented on. However, he said "It could safely be said that Indian government did not interact with the South African government on this issue."

Write Comments