Kolkata: The national selectors on Saturday picked up Baroda's Jacob Martin as the 14th member of the Indian cricket team for the opening Test against England at Mohali from Monday due to unavailability of Dinesh Mongia.
Jacob Martin was selected after the national selectors were informed that Mongia was busy with his Ranji trophy match for Punjab against Delhi in Amritsar, which would conclude only on Monday, the BCCI chief Jagmohan Dalmiya said.
Dalmiya had earlier announced the selection of Mongia in place of Virender Sehwag, who would be kept out of the playing XI as per the agreement between the International Cricket Council (ICC) and the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).
The BCCI chief said that four players Abhijit Kale, S Sriram, Jacob Martin and Mongia were in the contention for the 14th place in the team. Sehwag would, however, travel with the team to Mohali as the 15th member of the squad.
The BCCI had agreed to keep out Sehwag from the playing XI as quid pro quo to resolve the crisis triggered by the harsh punishments meted out to six Indian players including Sehwag by controversial match referee Mike Denness during the India-South Africa second Test at Port Elizabeth in November.
Dalmiya also said that he had instructed BCCI secretary Niranjan Shah to speak to Indian skipper Saurav Ganguly, who has expressed unhappiness and anger at not being consulted before the selection of the team for the Mohali Test.