Lancashire hopes to retain Crawley despite bitter row
Published: Sunday, February 10, 2002, 23:53 [IST]
Flintoff's all-round show helps England win
London: John Crawley could still be a Lancashire player next season despite a bitter dispute, the English county's chairman Jack Simmons said on Saturday. Former England batsman Crawley, 30, has reportedly resigned and insisted he will never play for Lancashire again after being stripped of the captaincy at the end of last season. It was a disappointing campaign for the Old-Trafford based side, which only narrowly avoided relegation to the second division of the County Championship. Since then Crawley has repeatedly been linked in the British press with a move to Lancashire's newly promoted rivals Hampshire. But Simmons, speaking at Lancashire's annual general meeting at Old Trafford, said, "We still regarded John as a contracted player of this club, he still has three years of his contract to run. We want him as a player and were hoping for a solution," former Lancashire off spinner Simmons added. He refused to discuss the Crawley situation any further on the advice of Lancashire's solicitors. The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has convened a contracts appeal panel Friday to resolve the long-running dispute. Crawley made his Test debut in 1994 and has played 29 Tests having scored 1,329 runs at a modest 31.64. However, Crawley has been a consistent performer at county level, although 898 first- class runs at 40.81 last season was not up to his usual standard.