हिन्दीಕನ್ನಡമലയാളംதமிழ்తెలుగు

Ganguly not to continue in number three position

Published: Sunday, March 3, 2002, 1:31 [IST]
 
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

New Delhi: Despite getting his first century in more than two years while coming in at number three in the batting order, an 'obviously relieved' Saurav Ganguly on Saturday said he would not continue in the same slot in future."It is not a permanent slot for me," he told reporters after guiding his team to a position of strength with an unbeaten 135 on the third day of the second Test match against Zimbabwe. "Rahul Dravid has done very well at that place and he is the rightful claimant to that slot.

It was a very good gesture by Rahul to allow me to come at number three when I asked for it but he will continue in that place from the next series," Ganguly said. Ganguly said Saturday's knock, which is his first since taking over as captain in 2000, was all about better concentration. "There was a little change in my batting style. But it had a lot to do with my concentration. "I had been getting out in 30s and 40s.

In fact, I got out four times between 35 and 47, so I knew I had to concentrate more and luckily I did today," he said. Ganguly said he did not have much difficulty in batting at number three. "It has got its advantages and disadvantages. The bowlers are quite fresh and attack you constantly. But I have been opening in the One-dayers and am used to facing the new ball.

It also gives you more opportunities to score the boundaries." The skipper admitted that the regular rain interruptions made it difficult for him to concentrate but said it was something beyond his control. "You can't help such things. You have got to cope up with these difficulties and try your best," he said. Though he did not rate it as his best ever knock, Ganguly said he felt very happy to have got it when the team needed it.

He said he was looking for about 100-run lead over Zimbabwe when India resumes its innings on Sunday. "About 100 runs would be good on this wicket, I think. We cannot just keep batting," he said.

Write Comments