Fleming, Miller miss out on Victoria~~s contracts

Published: Tuesday, May 21, 2002, 23:53 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Melbourne: Former Test cricketers Damien Fleming and Colin Miller's first-class careers look over after Victoria failed to offer them playing contracts for next season.

Fleming, 32, and Miller, 38, have almost 150 Test wickets between them but have been overlooked by state selectors as Victoria continues with its youth policy. The news is a blow for the pair after the Australian Cricket Board (ACB) denied them contracts earlier this month. Victorian Cricket Association (VCA) chief executive officer Ken Jacobs said overlooking the experienced pair was a difficult decision for selectors. "The selectors have advised me of the difficulty of the decisions. However they believe they have acted in the best long-term interests of the Victorian cricket team," Jacobs said in a statement. "Obviously it is extremely disappointing for the players concerned. It is important to note that circumstances can and do change over the course of a season, therefore the opportunity is always there for players to remain in selection contention." Fleming endured a season plagued by injury, while Miller, the Australian Test player of the year little more than 12 months ago, was overlooked by selectors. Victoria finished second-last in the last Sheffield Shield competition.

Thatsspecial: India's Caribbean Adventure

Write Comments