Jayasuriya slams ton, Lanka posts emphatic win

Published: Friday, September 13, 2002, 3:55 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Colombo: A Sanath Jayasuriya-inspired Sri Lanka virtually knocked Pakistan out of the Champions Trophy tournament with an emphatic eight-wicket victory in the opening match on Thursday. The Sri Lankan skipper smashed an unbeaten 102 for his 13th century as the hosts surpassed Pakistan's total of 200 with 13.5 overs to spare in the day-night match, much to the delight of a capacity crowd at the Premadasa Stadium.

Jayasuriya, a doubtful starter because of a shoulder-injury, became the eighth batsman in the world, and the second Sri Lankan after Aravinda de Silva, to complete 8,000 runs in One-dayers. He shared a 156-run stand for the unbroken third wicket with Aravinda, who slammed a solid 66 not out off 81 balls with five fours. Sri Lanka made sure of a place in the semi-finals with its first win in the three-team group. It will take on minnows Holland in its last league tie on Monday. Only group winners will qualify for the next round. Earlier, Shoaib Malik became the first cricketer to be given out leg before by TV umpire, as Pakistan was shot out for a modest total after electing to bat on a slow pitch. Veteran opener Saeed Anwar (52) and Misbah-ul-Haq (47) only gave a good account of themselves in an unimpressive Pakistani batting performance. Ace off spinner Muthiah Muralitharan tied the batsmen into knots during his disciplined 3-29 effort after Pakistan had lost three wickets for 17 runs, including that of Malik. On-field Australian umpire Daryl Harper consulted the third umpire, Rudi Koertzen of South Africa, before ruling Malik out leg before in left-arm seamer Chaminda Vaas's third over. The sport's world governing body has given the on-field umpires an option for the first time to refer any decision to the TV umpire on an experimental basis. The decisions, however, will be given by the on-field umpires. The Pakistani total was too small to put pressure on Sri Lanka, which looked in trouble for a brief spell when it lost Marvan Atapattu and Kumar Sangakkara in the space of four balls to slip from 44-0 to 45-2. Jayasuriya then counter-attacked vigorously to keep the Pakistani attack at bay, hitting over the top and driving fluently. He cut Malik for his 10th four to reach his hundred off 118 balls. He received valuable support from veteran Aravinda, who matched his captain stroke for stroke during the big stand. Aravinda kept his cool during his knock. A glare from paceman Shoaib Akhtar and a verbal duel with leg spinner Shahid Afridi were just not enough to disturb his concentration. In contrast, Pakistan struggled for runs. Their batting woes had begun before Malik's dismissal for one run as opener Afridi (4) edged seamer Pulasthi Gunaratne to wicket-keeper Kumar Sangakkara. Pakistan suffered another setback when Yousuf Youhana's return to the squad ended on a disappointing note as he was run out by yards after being sent back by striker Anwar. Youhana, who returned home without playing a match in a recent triangular series in Kenya apparently over differences with his skipper, lasted one ball before being beaten by a Muralitharan throw from backward point. Pakistan was tottering at 17-3 before Anwar and Younis Khan (35) tried to steady the innings with a 70-run stand for the fourth wicket. The pressure kept mounting on Pakistan, as Sri Lanka never relaxed its grip over the match with its tight seam and spin bowling, backed by smart fielding. Muralitharan broke the fourth-wicket stand when he bowled Khan round the legs with a turning delivery. Anwar kept defying the Sri Lankan attack as he hit five fours in his 43rd half-century before being caught by Upul Chandana at deep square-leg off fast bowler Fernando. Fernando then grabbed two wickets in the last over of the innings to finish with 3- 30.

Scorecard of Match 1
Lanka bowlers rock Pak with early wickets; 200 all out

Write Comments