Colombo: India's senior cricketers on Friday said their stand on the ICC contract issue was based on principles and had nothing to do with personal gains. "There was a misconception that we were looking at personal gains. It was actually a matter of integrity and principles," ace leg spinner Anil Kumble said reacting to the contract row that had almost jeopardised the participation of India's best players in the Champions Trophy which began on Thursday.
"Some of the players had already entered into contracts and there was a possibility of having to breach them if they had to sign the agreement on players terms for the tournament," Kumble said. However, the team was glad that the matter had been sorted out for the present tournament and the players could now concentrate on the matches ahead, he said. The Board, Ganguly said, had been kind and supportive while the matter was being resolved. "It took some time, of course, but we are happy with the settlement at present." Sachin Tendulkar said he agreed with the view that the Board and the players needed to sit down and talk about future contracts. "I am sure the players, the Board and the International Cricket Council (ICC) will sit together and understand each other's point of view," Tendulkar said. Extras:
'India's blend of youth, experience just right for WC'
'We'll put behind contract row, focus on winning'
Row barely resolved, ICC once again in contract tiff