New Delhi: India's cricket officials on Wednesday refused to reschedule the One-day series against the West Indies despite crowd trouble in all the three matches played so far.
"There is no threat to the series, it will be completed as scheduled," Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) secretary Karunakaran Nair said. While the first two matches in Jamshedpur and Nagpur were briefly interrupted by missile-throwing fans, Tuesday's game in Rajkot was forced to be abandoned after West Indian fielders were hit by plastic water bottles. Two of the remaining four matches will be played in Ahmedabad and Baroda, which like Rajkot are situated in Gujarat which has been rocked by communal violence. BCCI president Jagmohan Dalmiya said he had spoken to state administration officials to ensure the untoward incidents of the first three matches were not repeated. "We are happy the Gujarat government has agreed to our suggestions to increase security in Ahmedabad and Baroda," Dalmiya said. "We have also issued necessary instructions to the staging associations to install close-circuit cameras at strategic points in the stadiums, so that mischief-mongers can be identified." Ahmedabad will host a day-night match on Friday, followed by day games in Baroda (November 18), Jodhpur (Nov 21) and Vijayawada (Nov 24). Nair said the problem was not lack of security, but hooliganism by a small section of spectators. "We can control 99 per cent of the crowd. But if the remaining one per cent decides to create nuisance, we are rendered helpless," he said. "We can only appeal to the sporting public of India who are great fans of cricket to desist from such behaviour as it is bringing a bad name to the country."