No names of players in undesirables list, says ICC

Published: Monday, December 9, 2002, 20:14 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Lahore (Pakistan): The International Cricket Council (ICC) predicted a corruption- free World Cup next year, revealing that no players are on a list of 101 'undesirables' who will be barred from attending the tournament. "ICCs success is most widely talked about and we have put measures in place to ensure a corruption-free World Cup," ICC president Malcolm Gray told reporters.

Organisers in South Africa last month disclosed that ICC's Anti-Corruption Unit (ACU) has identified 101 'undesirables' who will be barred for the World Cup in the aim of preventing match-fixing scandals. ICC chief executive Malcolm Speed said the list, which has not been made public, did not feature any player. Cricket has been rocked by match-fixing and betting scandals over the past two years, which erupted when former South African captain Hansie Cronje confessed to taking money from bookmakers in June 2000.

"Match-fixing had disturbed us but the ICC and ACU have done great amount of work to ensure what did happen sometime ago does not happen in the World Cup," Gray said. The ACU earlier this year appointed five security managers to monitor international matches, put security cameras in ground and team hotels, and banned players from using mobile phones and meeting unwanted people in the ground. The ACU also monitors matches which they suspect could be rigged.

Write Comments