ECB against action on Gough for MacLaurin comments
Published: Saturday, December 14, 2002, 17:56 [IST]
Ashley Giles injured, ruled out of fourth Ashes Test
Watson's WC place in question after England assault
London: England fast bowler Darren Gough will not face any disciplinary action from the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) after publicly criticising comments made by outgoing board chairman Ian MacLaurin. During a television interview Gough said he was "disgusted" with MacLaurin after the ECB supremo accused England all-rounder Andrew Flintoff of not taking his recovery from a hernia operation with sufficient seriousness. But Gerard Elias, chairman of the ECB's disciplinary committee, said on Friday that no action would be taken against Gough although he had written a private letter to the Yorkshire quick. The ECB also said that Elias had not considered questions about Gough and Flintoff's behaviour during their time training at the National Sports Centre, Lilleshall, Central England, following newspaper allegations of improper conduct, because they had received no formal complaint. The pair was sent to Lilleshall in order to get fit for the current Ashes tour in Australia. But Gough was sent home ahead of the first Test with knee problems that have prevented him from playing Test cricket in over a year and was also ruled out of next year's World Cup. Meanwhile, Lancashire star Flintoff, who did not feature in the three Tests played so far, apart from brief spells as a substitute fielder, was sent home on Thursday after failing to regain full fitness. Flintoff, 25, was given a final chance to prove his fitness during England's three One-day warm-up matches, ahead of the triangular series with Australia and Sri Lanka, but struggled to bowl spells longer than three or four overs. However, England hopes that by sending him home now Flintoff will be fit on time for the World Cup, which begins in South Africa.