Kenya assures Sri Lankans, Kiwis of maximum security

Published: Saturday, December 21, 2002, 0:08 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Nairobi: Kenyan organisers of the two cricket World Cup games in Nairobi early next year moved fast on Friday to assure the Sri Lankan and New Zealand teams of maximum security during their visit. "The International Cricket Council (ICC) has not expressed any concern about any insecurity here," said the Kenya Cricket Association (KCA) committee chairman Sharad Ghai. "We have taken elaborate security (measures) for the two games. We have even gone further to invite South African security officials to inspect all the security arrangements," he said. Ghai was reacting to a statement by the Sri Lanka team manager Ajit Jayasekara in Perth, Australia that his team is concerned about playing in Kenya in February next year because of last month's terrorist attacks in the port city of Mombasa. "Sri Lanka should be the last team to complain about playing in Kenya," added Ghai.

The Kenya team ignored all warnings of insecurity in Sri Lanka when we travelled to Colombo to play our match during the 1996 World Cup when other teams, including the current champions, Australia, refused to play there following a bomb blast in the capital (Colombo)." Sri Lanka is scheduled to play Kenya at the Nairobi Gymkhana Club in the preliminary round World Cup clash on February 24.


Write Comments