हिन्दीಕನ್ನಡമലയാളംதமிழ்తెలుగు

SL confirms playing in Kenya despite initial fears

Published: Tuesday, December 31, 2002, 20:11 [IST]
 
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Colombo: Sri Lanka on Tuesday said it would play its World Cup match in Nairobi after Kenya assured maximum security following last month's terrorist attacks in the port city of Mombasa. The Board of Control for Cricket in Sri Lanka (BCCSL) in a letter to its Kenyan counterpart confirmed participation for the February 24 match and denied raising security concerns over last month's attacks. Kenya Cricket Association committee chairman Sharad Ghai had said nine days ago that Sri Lanka should be the last country to complain about playing in Kenya, given the island's violent past. "Sri Lanka should be the last team to complain about playing in Kenya," Ghai said. "The Kenyan team ignored all warnings while travelling to Colombo to play a match during the 1996 World Cup when other teams, including Australia, refused to play there following a bomb blast in the capital (Colombo)." The BCCSL moved to smoothen ruffled feathers by saying that its cricket manager Ajith Jayasekara had been quoted out of context when he raised concerns for player safety in Kenya. "Had there been any concerns that the BCCSL wished to make, it would have done so in writing to the Kenyan Cricket Association and not spoken to the media," the BCCSL said in its letter.

Extras:
Warne may get until mid-WC to recover: Buchanan
Government, ECB to discuss Zim-row across the table

Write Comments