Colombo: Sri Lanka on Tuesday asked for more time from the International Cricket Council (ICC) to resolve its pay crisis that threatened to scuttle the team's participation in next month's World Cup.
The Board of Control for Cricket in Sri Lanka (BCCSL) said it had a "few more days" to get its squad to sign the ICC players contracts after another round of talks with skipper Sanath Jayasuriya on Monday failed to produce results. "The BCCSL now expects to negotiate with Sanath when he returns from Australia on Wednesday. The Board has a good understanding with the ICC on this matter," a BCCSL official said. Fresh talks on Monday ended in a deadlock, officials said. The BCCSL is battling against clock after breaching a January 17 deadline set by the ICC for Sri Lankan players to sign contracts to play in the World Cup. The tournament will be hosted by South Africa, Zimbabwe and Kenya from February 8 to March 23. "In the event the squad members fail to sign the contracts, the BCCSL will be reluctantly compelled to avail itself of all remedies available to it," the Board said in a two-page statement on Sunday. The state-run 'Daily News' on Tuesday took a swipe at Jayasuriya and his team over the pay issue and said they should show the same determination on the ground. "We admire the determination the players have shown in negotiating for more money, but we wish they had shown those admirable qualities when facing the likes of Glen McGrath and Shane Warne," the daily said. The paper said the team's only consistency had been to "fall regularly" in the ongoing VB tournament in Australia.
Lanka opens fresh dialogue to save World Cup hope
Thatscricket Special: World Cup 2003