ICC to hear Samuels reinstatement case, says WICB
Published: Friday, February 7, 2003, 23:53 [IST]
Hurricane Hooper, Hinds, Sarwan star in Windies' big win
St. John's: Stricken batsman Marlon Samuels, who just two weeks ago faced the prospect of missing out on the World Cup through injury, may be handed a reprieve. The West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) said on Thursday that it had been informed by the International Cricket Council (ICC) that it will hear the case to allow the reinstatement of Samuels for the World Cup which gets underway on Saturday. The ICC contacted WICB president Wes Hall in South Africa and notified him of the meeting, after a written application by Roger Brathwaite, acting chief executive officer of the WICB, and a telephone call between Hall and Malcolm Speed, Chief Executive of the ICC. "The president has stated that we will do all in our power to have Marlon play in the World Cup and the resolution of this matter now rests with the ICC," said Michael Hall, the Chief Cricket Operations Officer of the WICB. The West Indies faces South Africa in the opening match on Sunday at Newlands in Cape Town. Samuels had originally been ruled out because of a knee injury and replaced by all-rounder Ryan Hinds and last week sought treatment in the United States in a last-ditch effort to get fit. Samuels was the one of the stars of the West Indies tour to India last year with his unbeaten 108 off 75 balls in Vijayawada helping his team to a 135-run win over the hosts in the final match of the One-day series to secure a 4-3 win.