Johannesburg: International Cricket Council (ICC) president Malcolm Gray admitted on Friday there was no progress on the fate of New Zealand's World Cup game in Kenya. The Kiwis publicly announced last month they will not travel to Nairobi for the February 21 match against the hosts due to security fears, but have not officially told the ICC they want the match to be moved to South Africa.
Gray told reporters the matter was "legally complex" and stressed he could not give a definitive answer on the likely outcome. The ICC president said New Zealand had three options to pursue, but insisted time was running out. "The New Zealanders could go to mediation, they could use the internal dispute mechanism of the ICC - the technical committee which heard the England case - or they could go to the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Lausanne," Gray told the SAPA news agency.
He doubted the Kiwis would take their case to the ICC's technical committee, but could use the Lausanne option, because "if a single arbitrator was appointed, they could attend to the matter quickly". ICC spokesman Mark Harrison said the New Zealand team had till four or five days before its game in Nairobi to lodge an appeal. Reports from Christchurch last week said New Zealand Cricket (NZC) was likely to appeal to the ICC's technical committee to resolve the dispute while NZC chief executive Martin Snedden said taking the case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Switzerland could take too long.