Bacher too serves ultimatum on ECB to decide on Zim
Published: Tuesday, February 11, 2003, 23:53 [IST]
Confusion prevails over England boycott, ICC unclear
Johannesburg: World Cup executive director Ali Bacher on Tuesday pleaded with England to make up its minds whether or not it is going to play against Zimbabwe in Harare on Thursday. Bacher said he will be contacting England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) chief executive Tim Lamb to demand that the matter be resolved immediately. "The whole question of fairness and fair play has always been a strong belief of English cricket," said Bacher. "I want to say to the Board and the English team, it's time now to make a decision. "You cannot organise an event overnight, it's not fair. There are people in the rural areas who have bought tickets. There are people who have booked flights. It's only fair and reasonable that they be told - is there a game on? "I come on behalf of the organisers to make a concerted and passionate plea to the ECB and the English team to decide if they are going to Harare or not." England is worried about the security conditions in Zimbabwe and has been sent death threats if they fulfil the fixture. An ECB spokesman said another meeting with Nasser Hussain's men had been held on Tuesday. "The ECB chairman David Morgan and Mark Roper-Drimie, the director of legal affairs, met with the players for half an hour for the purpose of keeping them up to speed with the latest developments," the spokesman said. "It is a complex issue. We anticipate further face-to-face talks with the International Cricket Council (ICC) later on Tuesday and we will take all the necessary time needed to reach a decision."