Johannesburg: Pakistan's World Cup wicket-keeper Rashid Latif on Thursday dropped threats to sue the Australian team after it had accused him of making a racist remark.
Latif, who was cleared of the charge by the International Cricket Council (ICC) on Wednesday, said he had a change of heart about taking legal action. "I said it in the heat of the moment, but I don't think it is worth it to pursue the case," Latif said. The 34-year-old had said on Wednesday he would take the entire Australian team to court after Adam Gilchrist reported him to the ICC for an alleged racial insult during Tuesday's World Cup clash. It is understood that the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) and the team management advised Latif not to go for legal action and consider the matter closed. "This is my last World Cup and I want to enjoy it," Latif said. "I don't want to be distracted from the main task and that is to help Pakistan win the World Cup." After ICC match referee Clive Lloyd had cleared Latif on Wednesday, Gilchrist said he considered the matter close. Gilchrist said there had been no apology from Latif and he could not make a judgement on whether he was owed one. "I wouldn't have raised the issue if I hadn't found it offensive. I was shocked by the comment I believe I heard," he said. "I and Latif had always had a good relationship both on and off the field. I hope there is no animosity between the two teams when they meet again."
Enraged Latif to sue entire Aussie team for defamation
I can't live with racist branding, says exonerated Latif