Sydney: Banned Shane Warne won't be making a return to the cricket World Cup in South Africa via a television commentary team, Australia's Nine Network said on Monday. A Nine spokesman said no decision had been made about Warne's future at the network in the wake of his ban. "Certainly he wouldn't be commentating on the World Cup," he said.
"We are only taking the host broadcaster's coverage and we have four commentators working as part of the pool team for the whole event, so he would not be involved in that. "As to whether in the current domestic season or the next twelve months, there's really been no decision made and it hasn't been discussed." Australian Cricket Board (ACB) chief executive James Sutherland said on Monday he was not sure whether Warne, an ACB employee, would be allowed to commentate while suspended.
"That is part of the challenge for us. If Australian cricket wants Shane Warne to be part of its future in some ways we need to help him prepare for the future," Sutherland said on Monday. "At the same time he has breached policy. We will have a bit of think about it and we have time to do that. We will work through it separately from Shane and then with Shane later on. "If it's something the commentary team wanted to talk to us about we would discuss it." The Nine Network's cricket commentary team is stacked with ex-cricketers - Richie Benaud, Ian Chappell, Bill Lawry, Tony Greig, Mark Taylor and Ian Healy. Copyright AFP 2001