Pollock likely to face the axe along with few others

Published: Saturday, March 15, 2003, 23:50 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Johannesburg: Shaun Pollock's future as South Africa captain was in doubt on Saturday with reports that he would be forced out as punishment for the team's humiliating World Cup flop. The United Cricket Board of South Africa (UCBSA) was forced to quash speculation that Pollock had already jumped before being pushed as the selectors met to pick a squad for tournaments in Bangladesh and Sharjah. "Shaun has not resigned," said Omar Henry, the convenor of selectors after a meeting Friday with the skipper as well as coach Eric Simons. However, the 'Johannesburg Star' newspaper reported that many high-ranking figures want Pollock out following the team's failure to make it past the first round of the World Cup after starting the event as co-favourites with defending champions Australia. The paper said that there would be a "night of the long knives" in which Lance Klusener and Nicky Boje would also be forced to join Pollock on the sidelines besides Allan Donald and Jonty Rhodes, who have both retired from international cricket. Western Province batsman Graeme Smith, just 22, has been widely-tipped to take over the captaincy. The South Africans are due to leave on March 28 for Sharjah to play in a tri-nations series with Sri Lanka and Pakistan before joining India for another three-nation tournament in Bangladesh. South Africa will also play two Tests in Bangladesh. Copyright AFP 2001

Polly's pregnant pause: Pollock ducks for cover

Write Comments