WC 2003 - Indian skippers eyes still on opening slot

Published: Wednesday, March 19, 2003, 23:51 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

London: Saurav Ganguly has said he is keen to open the batting again, but only if it is "best for the team". Ganguly also denied that his poor form had forced him to move down the order and promote Virender Sehwag to the opening slot during the World Cup, saying it was more to benefit the young batsman."I left the opening slot, not because I had difficulty scoring runs, but because Sehwag was not doing well in the middle-order," Ganguly told 'BBC Hindi'. "(But) definitely I will open again - I feel more comfortable there."We will see how the team performs with me playing at number three. We will also see how Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag play at the top of the order and then make the changes accordingly. We will do what is best for the team," Ganguly said.Ganguly is India's second-highest run getter in the World Cup after Sachin Tendulkar. So far, the southpaw has made 330 runs, including unbeaten centuries against Kenya and Namibia. In the first two games, however, he had scored only 17 runs."Only Sachin has been better than me as an opener. I have scored 9,000 runs including 20 centuries," Ganguly said. PTI

Volleying Indians plant their feet on new ground
Indians cant help but take a peak into the day

Write Comments