Sharjah Cup set to pull out of Emirates, headed for SL
Published: Wednesday, March 26, 2003, 1:33 [IST]
Copyright AFP 2001
SA calls off Sharjah tour due to security concerns
London: Organisers of the Sharjah Cup said on Tuesday they were trying to move the One-day tournament from the United Arab Emirates to Sri Lanka after South Africa pulled out because of security fears. South Africa, which recently hosted the World Cup, was due to take on Pakistan and Sri Lanka next month, but have refused to travel to the United Arab Emirates because of the Iraq war. Tournament organisers -- Cricketers Benefit Fund Series (CBFS) -- said they were hopeful the event could be switched to an alternative venue. "We are having talks with the Sri Lankan Board about moving the Sharjah Cup there," CBFS president Quasim Noorani told BBC Sport on Tuesday. "That would be our first option, and if that went through then of course we would expect South Africa to play. But if that doesn't happen and we were left with Sharjah, then we would look at trying to get either Kenya or Zimbabwe to replace them." "We will know more on Wednesday night after talks are at a more advanced stage." Vincent Hogg, managing director of the Zimbabwe Cricket Union, said no contact had been made by CBFS. "This is news to me, but if we were to be asked then it is something the Board would have to look at closely," Hogg said. "But I couldn't pre-empt any decision now as there has been no contact yet."