We are waiting for confirmation: SL Board
Published: Friday, March 28, 2003, 1:48 [IST]
Copyright AFP 2001
No Sharjah Cup in Colombo: Sri Lanka Cricket Board
Colombo: Sri Lanka was awaiting re-confirmation of the troubled Sharjah Cup tournament due to be held in the United Arab Emirates, officials said on Thursday. Sri Lanka was hoping that the tournament could go ahead and had informally received confirmation from the other participating nations that the series was on, a Board source said. "We have tentatively been told that the others in the series are taking part," the source said. "But we are awaiting a firm confirmation from the organisers." The Sharjah Cup involving Pakistan, Sri Lanka and South Africa was to take place in Sharjah from April 1 to 8. However, South Africa refused to travel to the United Arab Emirates because of the Iraq war. South Africa is to be replaced by Zimbabwe and Kenya. Tournament organisers - Cricketers Benefit Fund Series (CBFS) - had hoped that the event could be switched to an alternative venue, and officials had been quoted as saying Sri Lanka was a possibility. But Board officials on Wednesday ruled out the possibility of the tournament being hosted in Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka has named its team for the tournament which features three new faces - the top order batsman Michael Vandort, wicket-keeper batsman Prasanna Jayawardena and leg spinner Kaushal Lokuarachchi. Dropped are three seniors, batsmen Mahela Jayawardena, Russel Arnold and wicket- keeper batsman Kumar Sangakkara - all of whom had a dreadful run in the World Cup. The Sri Lankan selectors also decided to rest ace off spinner Muthiah Muralitharan.