After all the confusion

Published: Tuesday, April 8, 2003, 19:24 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Sydney: Australian Bennett King will continue in his role as Australian Cricket Academy head coach and not take up an offer to coach the West Indies cricket team, the Australian Cricket Board said on Tuesday. King was keen to continue as academy coach in Adelaide and had advised the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) and the ACB of his decision, the ACB said in a statement. The West Indies coaching position becomes available on July 1 and King advised the ACB that he had spoken to the WICB about the position. King is highly regarded in Australia, having guided Queensland to three consecutive Sheffield Shield titles from the 1999-2000 season after succeeding John Buchanan when he took over the Australian team. He discussed the job offer with his family before reaching his decision. "We actually regard it as a great honour for one of our coaches to be approached by the West Indies for that job," ACB chief executive James Sutherland said on Tuesday. Sutherland added that the ACB had not put any pressure on King, nor had it offered him any inducements to stay. King works in Adelaide with the academy but his wife and three school-aged children live in Brisbane. King was angered and embarrassed last week when the WICB announced that the job was his and the media had been informed. He said that no official appointment offer had been made and no terms and conditions had been agreed with him. He said last Tuesday the WICB had subsequently apologised for prematurely announcing his appointment. Former Windies batsman Gus Logie is serving as interim coach for this month's home series against Australia. Copyright AFP 2001

Excited King looking forward to formal offer

Write Comments