हिन्दीಕನ್ನಡമലയാളംதமிழ்తెలుగు

~~Weary Aussies have 2nd thoughts on Morocco series~~

Published: Wednesday, May 28, 2003, 21:27 [IST]
 
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Sydney: Australia's cricketers, wearied by a constant playing schedule, don't want to play a One-day tournament in Morocco in September, press reports said on Wednesday. The 'Daily Telegraph' reported that the players, currently playing in a one-day series in the Caribbean, told the Australian Cricket Board (ACB) they were prepared to forfeit up to A$ 30,000 ($ 19,500) each to withdraw from the tournament in Tangiers. Australian Cricketers' Association (ACA) chief executive Tim May told the newspaper the players were concerned about their heavy workload and security following suicide bombings that left 43 dead in Casablanca, Morocco's largest city, earlier this month. "Our concerns are two-fold, the first is the volume of cricket," May said. "There is a significant resistance from the volume of players in terms of their workload. Those concerns are mirrored very strongly by the ACA. The second one is security in the wake of the most recent terrorist attacks which certainly concern us." Australia's cricketers, who play the West Indies in the sixth of seven One-day Internationals in Grenada on Friday, have been playing virtually non-stop since last November. The Australians will have a short break when they return home early next month before two Tests and three One-dayers at home with Bangladesh in July and August. May said the players wanted to rest in September before the start of a busy southern summer against the touring Indians and Zimbabweans. Copyright AFP 2001

Extras:
Darwin gets ICC approval to host Bangla Test
Australia's record 21-match ODI streak
Australia grounded as Lara sparkles in 5th ODI

Write Comments