Ganguly discharged, to miss Mumbai tie too

Published: Sunday, October 26, 2003, 21:00 [IST]
Share this on your social network:
   Facebook Twitter Google+    Comments Mail

Kolkata: Star cricketer Sourav Ganguly, released from a city nursing home on Sunday afternoon after a 8-day stay, would have to sit out the November one match in Mumbai against Australia in the on-going Limited Over tri-series. The doctors said that they had set a 'realistic target' of making Ganguly fit for the November six game at Cuttack against New Zealand, but were still not sure whether the cricketer would be able to make it. ''I've been ruled out of the November one match. But I'm feeling much better now. And with the care I have got from the doctors here, I think I can return to onfield action shortly,'' Ganguly said at the nursing home.

Ganguly, who missed the second Test against New Zealand last week following a surgery at Mohali for a painful abscess, was admitted to the nursing home here on October 18 after complaining of excruciating pain in the wound. He was earlier ruled out of the October 23 tri-series opener against New Zealand and Sunday's game versus Australia. ''The day I took admission here, I did not think that I'll be walking home. I'm amazed at the way I've been handled and treated here,'' Ganguly, sporting a stubble and looking tired, said, while thanking the doctors.

Ganguly, who had undergone a mini surgical procedure to clean the wound on the date of his admission, said he had taken in his stride the hospitalisation period at a time when India were engaged in tough on-field battles. ''I'm injured. That's part of life. (From my bed) I only wished that India win the games,'' Ganguly replied philosophically when asked how he felt at being out of action despite being the skipper of the team.

Write Comments